You want to sell online and decided that WordPress would be the best choice for you, whether for its flexibility or simplicity. But you’re now wondering how exactly do you start selling your product on the platform?
Well, worry not because, in this article, I’ll be covering seven essential and easy steps to set up your online store on WordPress.
Let’s get started.
7 Easy Steps to Sell Products on WordPress
Here is an easy guide to get started…
1. Choose a Product
Of course, like in any store, you need to know and choose which products you want to sell. Firstly, you need to do product research to discover a product idea that will sell well on the market.
Here are some steps to do product research:
- Pick a product niche.
- Determine your target audience.
- List your top competitors.
- Research online to find out current trends and market demands.
- Fact-check your research by looking at other e-commerce sites.
Once you’ve done your research, you should be able to come up with a product that you want to sell.
2. Create Your Website
Before you can start selling your products on a WordPress site, you need to choose a domain name and website hosting first. A domain name is essentially the name and address of your website, while website hosting is where all your website files are stored, and it also helps your site go online.
There are plenty of WordPress hosting plans from various hosting providers. Take your time to research them, and pick the one that suits you best.
If you want a more straightforward method that combines all steps from 2 to 4 for creating your website, you can try using Zyro. It’s a website builder with plenty of tools that will help you easily create a website.
I’ll continue to explain how to start selling your products on WordPress in general.
3. Choose an e-Commerce Platform
Now, after you choose a WordPress hosting plan, you’ll need to install WordPress on your site. WordPress itself doesn’t have an e-commerce feature built into it, so you’ll also have to install an e-commerce plugin like WooCommerce.
Take a look at the features they have, read customer reviews on the WordPress plugins page, and see which one is best suited for your website. Take your time to compare them.
Once you’ve chosen one, then integrate it with your WordPress website.
4. Customize Your Online Store
The next step now is to customize the site to your liking. Here you can be as creative as you want by pouring all of your ideas into the website. To help start customizing your site, the plugins will usually have a few themes to help you begin.
Then, you can customize the elements inside the themes to your liking. Each theme might have different presets for elements, meaning there might be subtle differences in the way they need to be customized.
To find out what and how to customize your site, you can check ThemeForest, a large marketplace for WordPress themes.
5. Upload Products to Your Site
Once all that is set up, you should now upload the products you want to sell on your site. Ensure that you take high-quality photos of your products and use multiple angles to get every aspect of them. If you have a spare budget, I would recommend hiring a professional photographer.
Include a pop-up box when customers click on your product, so they can zoom in to see it in greater detail.
Make sure to write down a complete product description directly underneath the photos to know what features they have and their primary functions.
Once you’ve got a few purchases, you can even include customer reviews underneath the product description, so new customers are more sure to buy the product.
6. Post Valuable Content
The next thing to do is fill your website with content, so visitors are familiar with your business and products. To do so, you should include the following pages on your site:
- Home page – Where you showcase your products and what you do as a business.
- About us – This is where you write all there is to know about your business and yourself.
- Products – This is where you provide detailed descriptions about your products, probably done from point 5.
- Contact us – This is where you place your contact information, from a phone number, email address to social media accounts. You should also include your opening hours, so customers know when to reach you.
Another way to promote your business is to create valuable and informative content relevant to the niche you’re in. Try making a couple of blog posts focusing on the latest trends and exciting content in your niche.
7. Publish and Promote!
The last thing to do is to publish and promote your online store, so you start getting sales and traffic. There are a couple of ways to do that, which are:
- Using SEO techniques to improve content – so it appears high on search engine results. You can do this by utilizing search engine optimization.
- Give special launch discounts and promotions – This is to spread awareness about your products and website.
- Promote using social media – Increase your digital engagement and presence by promoting on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and other social media. Use hashtags to your advantage.
- Utilize Google Ads – Bid for keywords, so your site appears on top of the search results.
Now you know the seven simple steps to start selling your products on WordPress, all that’s left for you to do is start doing it.
Remember to take your time researching your product and picking the right hosting provider for you because it will be difficult to change once you’ve published your site.