Want to know How do I change the windows 7 login screen?
If yes, then this post is definitely for you.
In the previous post, I have already talked about creating a windows 7 password reset disk.
Windows 7 is best but sometimes you get bored with the old regular things.
Like the old regular Lock screen wallpaper. But you can change it.
I know changing the windows 10 logon screen is pretty easy but in windows 7 it’s pretty different.
And for that, you have to change some settings & then you can easily customize the lock screen background image.
Let’s see How it works…
Also Read: How to reset Windows 7 password using cmd.
Change Windows 7 Login Screen Background Image
This tutorial is divided into different parts, First, we will change the default registry settings, then the logon screen windows 7 group policy & then, at last, we will change the lock screen wallpaper.
So Let’s get started & Follow this Step by step guide.
1. Go to Search, type Regedit & Click OK. (To open the registry viewer)
2. Now search for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE & then navigate to the given location.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software> Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Authentication > LogonUI > Background
3. And on the right-hand side, you will see a registry file called OEMBackground.
Note:- But in some cases, the OEMBackground file is not there. So, in that situation, we have to create a new file.
And for that, Right Click on the blank space and select New & then select DWORD (32-bit) Value Option.
And then change the file name to OEMBackground.
4. Now Double Click on it and change its value to 1 & Click OK.
5. Now Close the Registry editor.
And Done! You have successfully change the windows 7 login screen settings.
And now the next part…
Change Logon Screen Windows 7 Group Policy using Local group policy editor
Basically, this part of the editing group policy is similar to the above one. As in the above section, we have changed the registry values using Regedit.
But here we are using the Group policy editor which is much safer as compared to Regedit.
You can use any of them…
Note:- Only in some Windows 7 OS group policy editor comes built-in and it also provides you the option to change windows 7 login screen background easily.
Let see how this works…
1. Open Run Command and Type gpedit.msc & Click OK.
2. Now navigate to the given location path.
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon
3. Once you are in the Logon folder, you will find a setting “Always use custom logon background” & Double Click on it.
4. Now change “Not Configured” to Enabled.
5. And Click OK.
And Done! You have successfully changed the windows 7 logon screen settings using a group policy editor.
And now the best part…
Changing Windows 7 Lock Screen Wallpaper
Now you have already configured all the Windows 7 settings and its time for setting up the custom lock screen wallpaper of your choice.
Just follow these steps…
1. Now select any image for which you want to set as Windows 7 login screen background image.
Note:- Image should be in .jpg format & the size must be less than 256Kb.
2. Now Rename the image to backgroundDefault.
3. Now Open Windows File Explorer and navigate to the following path.
4. In the oobe folder create a new folder & rename it to “info“. And again in the info folder create a new folder & rename it to backgrounds.
5. Now copy your lock screen backgroundDefault image that you have created earlier and paste it to backgrounds folder.
That’s it! You have successfully set your custom windows 7 lock screen wallpaper.
So that’s how you can easily customize or change Windows 7 login screen background wallpaper using Registry editor & Group Policy Editor.
And also you can perform this using different software or apps like Windows 7 logon screen changer.
Stay tuned for the next posts on How to change login screen windows 10.
Feel free to share your thoughts and also tell us if you know any better way on How to Change Windows 7 Login Screen Background Image / Pictures.
If you liked this post, Don’t forget to share this with your friends.