Want to create windows 10 bootable USB?
If yes then this post is definitely gonna help you.
Creating a bootable USB from an ISO image file is pretty easy if you know the right tools & steps to follow.
In the previous post, I have already talked about how to do clean install windows 10.
Using which you can easily update your windows 7 to 10 & take advantage of the windows 10 Operating system.
Windows 10 is one of the most powerful Windows OS until now, which works great in all terms of security & performance.
And that’s why its users are increasing rapidly day by day.
Moreover, if you also want to take advantage of these Windows 10 features, then you first need to create a USB boot disk.
Let’s see how it works…
Also, check out how to make Windows 11 USB Bootable.
How to Create a Windows 10 Bootable USB From ISO Image File
In this tutorial, I will show you how to create a bootable USB from Windows 10 ISO file using the media creation tool & Rufus.
But before we dive in further.
Please make sure that you have all the essential things required to create or make installation media for Windows (USB/DVD).
First, you need a USB Flash drive of 8/16 Gb.
Second, a bootable Windows 10 ISO Image File.
And third, a Windows 10 USB tool.
Now I hope you have all the above-mentioned things.
So Let’s get started…
How to make Windows 10 bootable USB UEFI using Media Creation Tool
So, here we are going to make windows 10 boot media with UEFI support using the media creation tool. This boot tool is also known as the windows 10 USB/DVD download tool & works great with all versions.
Let’s follow this step by step guide.
1. Plugin your USB flash drive and then Open your web browser & then visit the Windows 10 Download link.
2. Scroll down and below the “Create Windows 10 installation media” section, click on the Download tool now button.
3. Once the MediaCreationTool.exe file is downloaded, open it by double-clicking on it.
Note:- Please make sure that while using this media creation boot tool, you must be connected to the internet. (Unless it will not be loaded properly)
4. Now you will see the Microsoft Software License Terms, so click on the Accept button to agree.
5. Now it will ask you “What do you want to do?”, so select the “Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC” option & then click on Next.
Note:- You can also select the “Upgrade this PC now” option if you have Windows 7 as it will help you to upgrade to Windows 10 for free.
6. Now select the Language, Architecture, and Edition of your Windows 10 OS according to your preference. Like I am selecting Language as “English (United States), Edition as “Windows 10” and Architecture as “64 bit (x64)” and then click on Next.
Note:- Before selecting the Windows Architecture & Edition, please uncheck the “Use the recommended options for this PC” option.
7. After selecting the Windows 10 operating system, it will ask for “Choose which media to use”. So select the “USB flash drive” option & then click on Next.
Note:- If you directly want to download the Windows 10 image file to burn it later to a DVD/CD drive, then you can also select the “ISO file” option.
8. And then, it will ask you to “Select a USB flash drive” from the Removable drive list. So select the USB drive which you make bootable & then click on Next.
Note:- Before clicking on the “Next” button, please make sure that you have backup all your data present on a USB drive as all the files on your USB will be deleted.
9. After that, it will start downloading the Windows 10 installation files from the official Microsoft servers for creating USB bootable.
And after downloading all the files, it will validate or verify your download file then copy them to the USB drive.
Note:- Please make sure while completing this downloading process you must be connected to a good internet connection.
10. At last, it will start “Creating Windows 10 media” using the USB drive with BIOS Legacy & UEFI support.
And Done! Your bootable USB flash drive is ready & Finish.
Also Read: Don’t forget to make this USB unbootable after installing the Windows 10 OS on your computer/laptop.
So, Let’s move to the next method using the Rufus tool. This method will help you if you don’t have a good internet connection but have an ISO file stored on your local hard drive.
And here we go…
Method 2: How to create a Windows 10 bootable USB using Rufus Tool [UEFI Support]
Rufus is one of the finest bootable USB tools I have ever used. It is fast, reliable & built with lots of advanced features. Like the windows 10 media creation tool, Rufus is also known as the windows 10 USB/DVD download tool.
So Let’s move further & the only thing you need is Rufus.
1. Download the Rufus tool from the given link & if you already have it that’s great.
After opening the link you will find the “Create bootable USB drives the easy way” heading & below that you will find a “Download” section. So, Click on the first link “Rufus 3.11” & it will automatically start the download.
2. Once the Rufus.exe file is downloaded, insert your USB drive & then Open the Rufus tool by double-clicking on it.
3. After opening the Rufus, it will automatically detect the USB disk or you can also select it manually from the Device drop-down menu.
4. After selecting the USB Device, select the Boot selection as “Disk or ISO image” from the drop-down menu.
And then click on the “SELECT” button & navigate to the Windows 10 ISO file and select & then Click on Open.
5. Now select the Image option as “Standard Windows installation” because you want to use this USB for install windows 10 installation.
Note:- You can also select the “Windows To Go” option from the same drop-down menu to create the Live USB.
6. Now select the Partition scheme as “GPT” and the Target system as “UEFI (non CSM)“. Also, you can choose other option like “MBR” as the partition scheme and target system as “BIOS (Legacy)“.
Note:- The best part of Rufus is that it automatically detects the suitable settings according to the ISO file you are using.
7. After that configure the “USB Format Options” and its properties. You can rename the Volume label as “Windows 10 USB“, File system as NTFS and its cluster size as Default.
8. At last, under the “Status” section click on the START button & wait for a few minutes while your bootable USB is created.
And Done! You have successfully created the bootable USB drive for windows 10 using the Rufus tool.
Note:- Please make sure that your USB is empty or you have already backup your data from it.
That’s it for now…
So, that’s how you can easily create a bootable UEFI USB or boot media from Windows 10 ISO file using media creation tool / Rufus. And can use this USB disk to install a new OS Windows 10 on your new computer.
And now I hope you have got all your answers to the questions like how do i create a bootable Windows 10 USB drive.
Stay tuned for the next post on how to make a bootable USB Windows 10 using cmd.
Feel free to share your thoughts and also tell us if you know any better way of creating a Windows 10 bootable USB from an ISO image file.
If you liked this post, Don’t forget to share this helpful post on your favorite social media platform.